IPAA Victoria’s Reviewing and Proofreading course will provide you with a strategic method of reviewing and a systematic approach to proofreading, based on the guidelines in the Australian Government’s Style Manual.
Too often the different stages of reviewing – structural editing, copy editing and proofreading – are rushed or ignored. Learn how to create powerful and positive impact using your words.
Participants will explore:
- the methods and strategies used to effectively edit and proofread documents
- a variety of interactive and group tasks, written language critiques, and sample document reviews to convey its key messages and lessons.
- practical tips and writing guidelines.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand the distinctive roles of reviewers and proof readers
- learn and apply essential proofreading skills to produce professional quality documents
- identify and minimise the risk of common errors
- ensure your documents follow a consistent style and a clear and logical structure
- optimise layouts to convey concepts and information easily and with impact
- ensure your documents adhere to the style, needs and knowledge of their intended audience
- use the Australian Government’s Style Manual to check current conventions of good public sector writing.
The ideal course participant is a professional who:
- writes and edit original texts
- edits documents on behalf of colleagues
- is a writer, editor, or contractor for any department or organisation
- wants to develop your writing and editing skills.
Amazing training that you can put in to practice as soon as you leave the room!
— Tam Moore, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
100% of program attendees agreed that Reviewing and Proofreading gave them skills they could immediately apply in their role.
— 2018 IPAA Victoria feedback surveys