IPAA Victoria’s Public Sector Writing course you will learn how to tailor your message to suit a specific audience.
Develop the skills and confidence to clarify your objectives and think from your reader’s perspective, while following your organisation’s preferences around style and writing conventions.
You will gain a comprehensive knowledge of how to write for the public sector by:
- learning the skill to create concise and clear writing style.
- drafting, writing and editing documents that concisely discuss complex issues, argue points-of-view
- using your words to take action and establish ideas and innovations.
- a combination of hands-on exercises, document reviews to learn how to use your words to take actions
- identifying and adopting key tips and skills to finesse their public sector writing skills.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- tailor your message in terms of tone and readability to suit a specific audience
- plan for a clear and logical structure
- adapt your writing to suit your organisation’s preferred style
- write strong recommendations
- use ‘signposting strategies’ to increase the clarity and impact of your writing
- proofread with confidence to ensure that your writing is aligned to your organisation’s preferences.
The ideal course participant is a professional who seeks to:
- develop and fine tune writing to adapt to the public sector environment
- improve the clarity and impact of your current writing
- involved with writing or contributing to formal documents
- write briefs, memos or speeches for, or on behalf of others.
I loved this program. I am clearly not the only newish public servant who has been daunted by the public sector writing style. This program has helped me to understand the underpinnings of the style and has given me more confidence in my writing
— Annie Nash, Victoria Legal Aid
I now feel more confident in understanding what government writing entails. Jeanette makes the content accessible and engaging
— Henry, Department of Education and Training