IPAA Victoria’s Speech Writing course will help you prepare every element of a compelling speech from a connection with the audience, to appropriate emotion, irrefutable facts, and an unforgettable conclusion.
Drawing on experience from ministerial offices and government departments, this masterclass covers the qualities and rich potential of a great public speech.
You will gain a comprehensive knowledge of how to write impactful and compelling speeches through:
- practical, activity-based activities delivered in an intensive three-hour tutorial on researching, writing, reviewing and delivering a speech
- guidance on effective speech writing skills, tips and techniques to write and deliver them with purpose and strength
- a small-group course to ensure effective one-on-one tuition.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- understand individual speakers and audiences – and the way they interact
- assess the right tone, content and length for a specific audience
- write a strong opening, a cohesive narrative, and a memorable conclusion
- identify compelling facts and figures to back up your arguments
- avoid clumsy jargon, weak jokes, and other speech writing ‘traps’
- write a speech that another person will be comfortable giving.
The ideal course participant is a professional who is:
- required to write speeches or speaking notes
- an executive delivering an oration or a keynote lecture
- works as a departmental speechwriter
- is a communications manager or municipal officer.
A clear, insightful and practical program – highly recommended!
— Mike Griffin, Department of Health and Human Services
100% of program attendees agreed that Speech Writing increased their knowledge and skills.
— 2018–19 IPAA Victoria feedback surveys