IPAA Victoria’s Making Difficult Conversations Work course will equip you to be prepared for and guide difficult conversations towards a common goal while listening to others and empathise with their positions and views. This course delivers a series of vital ‘life lessons’ on managing and negotiating these challenging exchanges.
You will gain a comprehensive knowledge of Making Difficult Conversations Work by:
- identifying, analysing, and avoiding mistakes when conducting difficult conversations
- understanding the importance of maintaining your clarity and composure under pressure to develop trust and mutual respect.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- prepare and guide a difficult conversation towards a common goal
- listen to counterparts and empathise with their positions
- ask effective questions and encourage others to share their ideas
- maintain clarity and composure under pressure
- develop trust and maintain mutual respect
- not leave important issues unresolved.
The ideal course participant is someone who:
- wants to improve your conflict resolution skills
- is in a role where you provide or encounter, a different viewpoint
- wants to improve your stakeholder management skills
- manages staff effectively
- is frequently involved in highly emotional situations
- wants to develop, or improve assertive communication skills.
Simple, interactive, informative
— Yadwinder Hunan, Department of Transport
It was valuable, far more so than I expected – and the facilitator really was exceptional, he was personable, knowledgeable and just really engaging
— Pilot program participant, Department of Transport